[Zope] Re: Re: Re: pulling from another website

Michael Havard nhavar@hotmail.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 21:57:13 +0000

ECMAScript 262 - Mozilla, IE5/6, and Opera tend to stick fairly close to
this, enough so as to be considered ECMAScript compliant. So that if you pay
attention to the standard that you can write code pretty much oblivious to
what browser it's going to be implemented on. If a browser doesn't support a
particular feature like array.push, it's more than likely that someone
already has a free prebuilt crossbrowser script that fills the void with no
fuss.

Additionally if you're using javascript for the sparkly factor then your
using it wrong, go use flash or java applets. WE use it in form validation,
table sorting, row hit highlighting and client side pagination and creating
lightweight user interface components like tabpanels. It works easily with
about 5 major browsers and there's no "IF IE6" or "IF NS4" anywhere in code.

My point is that NOTHING we have today works IDENTICALLY in every browser.
IE will render font's one size and moz another and lynx another. If your
criteria for using a standard is how identically it works in each browser
then you won't be using any standard. Additionally you have to design pages
that should javascript/css/xml/xsl/whatever not be available that you have a
plan B.