[Zope] DBTab product questions (more...)

Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:03:53 -0800

Performance-wise, wouldn't partitioning your storages have the _potential_
to be a win if you were able to distribute transactions onto different
ClientStorages on different dedicated ZSS nodes, assuming heavy usage?  At
what point does one want to worry about the ZSS as a performance bottleneck
(or should one worry at all)?  I've always thought partitioning via
multiple, mounted storages would be the answer, but I've never known enough
to confirm or deny this?

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Shane Hathaway [mailto:shane@zope.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 9:59 AM
To: Thierry FLORAC
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] DBTab product questions (more...)

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Thierry FLORAC wrote:

> I just have another little question : my old development database had a
size
> of 2.8 MB ; I've "extracted" my ZCatalog from it to a new ZODB, and tried
> pack the two databases : now, each of them has a size of nearly 2.1 or 2.5

> MB, which if "far" more than the original database, so my question : why
??

The Control_Panel stores about 2-3 MB of data, and each database has its
own copy of the Control_Panel.  I wouldn't worry about it though.

> And another one : does the fact of splitting a Zope site between several
ZODBs
> can have any impact (improvement or not) on the whole performances ??

There is no measurable difference in performance unless you mount a large
number of databases.  The MountPoint._setDB() and MountPoint.close()
methods are the issue here: they have to open/close all mounted
connections, even if they won't be used in the course of a transaction.
There are surely ways to improve this.

Shane