[Zope] Basic, conceptual help / advice?

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:46:01 +0100

sean.upton@uniontrib.com wrote:
> My take on this...
>
> Better yet, use the CMF and keep your "controller" and "view-assisting"
> logic in skins code, and your data/model related stuff in your Python
> Product classes.
>
> In trying to explain the CMF's wide-not-deep approach to this to some people
> I work with, it has become clear to me that coding a Python product for the
> CMF (if nothing else than becuase of the skins tool) is much cleaner than
> trying to cram things like acquirable helper utility methods into a
> specialized folder class and other sorts of strange things, and living by
> the "logic in content types and tools, presentation and application code in
> skins" way of the CMF is really the easiest way to accomplish this.  My CMF
> coding is much more compartmentalized and easier to read than the stuff from
> previous Zope projects I have worked on.
>
> Sean

Sean, I also like the CMF ways esp. for the skins tool, but how do you
handle the stuff coming with CMF you _don't_ want to use. Like the
membertool, workflows, syndication etc. Do you have a custom CMF-site
object, do you delete the autocreated objects you don't like after
adding a stock CMF site? Also, how are you handling the fact that now
your products now are "not in one piece", since methods are spread
through the skins tool?
I really wish the CMF wouldn't be effectively one big software BLOB.

Any clever tricks to share?

cheers,
oliver