[Zope] Unable to open manage page.

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:00:03 +0100

Israel Carr wrote at 2003-3-19 12:04 -0500:
 > I'm running the following:
 > Zope Version (Zope 2.5.1 (source release, python 2.1, linux2), python 2.1.3,
 > linux2)
 > Python Version 2.1.3 (#1, Sep 7 2002, 15:29:56) [GCC 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian
 > prerelease)]
 >
 > When opening server the management page (10.1.1.1/manage), the screen shows
 > some objects in the main pane, the left nav pane is blank and the page
 > freezes.  I am then unable to connect to the server at all, even
 > non-management pages.  I must then restart zope and then everything is fine
 > until I try to open the root management page.
 >
 > I CAN go to (10.1.1.1/site/manage) and the mangement screen opens fine.  I
 > can click on the '/' link to up a level and the root management screen is
 > displayed but of course the left nav pane doesn't change.
 >
 > Any ideas about this?

I saw things like this twice.

   In each case, after a lengthy analysis, it turned out that
   a database adapter instance was the culprit. It tried to
   connect to an offline database (the computer running the
   database switched off). There, it froze until the TCP timeout
   freed it again.

   The left pane is particularly sensible to this kind of problem
   as it looks deeper into the structure than the part you see.

   Other networking services may have similar problems
   (I saw one for LDAPUserFolder).

I already file a bug report.

I changed our version of ZPsycopgDA to only connect to the database
when a true database operation is requested (and not when the
database adapter is loaded from the ZODB).

Dieter