[Zope] Re: ZPT rendered output formatting

Felix Ulrich-Oltean felix@chaptereight.com
27 Mar 2003 09:09:29 +0000

"Passin, Tom" <tpassin@mitretek.org> writes:

> [Felix Ulrich-Oltean]
>
> > Can I have any control over how ZPT formats the html it produces?
> > Specifically, source like this:
>
> Why do you care?  A browser should not.  If you want to read the output
> from time to time, and all else fails, use a pretty-printer like Tidy.

Grrrr.  I *don't* really care, but it seems browsers and designers
do.  E.g. when the designers put a 1px 'spacer' image in a <td> (which
btw winds me up), if TAL puts the td and img on different lines, IE
formats the td as thought there is something in it.

More generally, the designers are getting annoyed that the formatting
of their markup is not being preserved.

I wish I had the time and energy to convince people not to use dozens
of tables filled with 1px images, but I don't.

> (No matter how a program formats markup, it will not suit everyone
> anyway).

No, but if I at least knew how ZPT did it I might be able to solve
some of my problems.

Felix.