[Zope] Zope performance documentation

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
31 Mar 2003 07:28:46 -0800

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 06:57, Fabio Rolando wrote:
> First of all thank you a lot for you attention.
> I'm quite new to Zope so it is still difficoult to understand how it will
> work when the system will be deployed.
> We need to size the system for (all values are the absolute maximumwe
> expect) 10.000 authenticated users, 10.000 documents (5000 pdf with 200 Kb
> average size, and 500 html), 1000 hits/minute. Do you think we can use Zope
> alone (no ZEO, no Apache)?

Sure, you can run Zope on a bare wire... but why would you specify such
a thing at the outset?  In a decent-sized system, you'll want to let
different tools handle the tasks that they are designed to do well and
leave the secondary features alone.  Zope's web server is good, but it
will probably never be maintained as aggressively as Apache.

I would strongly recommend running Apache in front of any non-trivial
Zope app that is connected to the Internet.  Apache is really good at
what *it* provides, and while there is *some* overlap with Zope, they
are mostly different tools.

And if those 5000 PDF's are *static* files, you should consider serving
them directly from Apache anyway.  There's almost no good reason to
serve discrete static content out of Zope.

HTH,

Dylan