[Zope] Debugging and Environment Variables

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
31 Mar 2003 10:54:45 -0800

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 10:00, Derek Basch wrote:
> > I may be missing something
> > critical, but I find the
> > development cycle is much faster when debugging on a
> > live instance...
>
> I also prefer to debug on a live instance. However, I
> am attempting to debug someone else's product:

Ah... somehow I had gotten the impression you were trying to test new
installations.  My apologies for suggesting the obvious.

> http://www.zope.org/Members/mwoj/kinterbasdbDA
>
> I need to know the value of a variable that is
> generated during the usage of kinterbasdbDA and have
> not had much luck returning the variable value in a
> live session.

In many cases you can do something like:

if error_condition:
    raise 'my_variable is: %s' % my_variable

But more generally, you'll probably want to use pdb:
http://www.zopelabs.com/cookbook/1034779450

> Perhaps I should submit another request to
> the list titled:
>
> "Does Zope Debugging Even Work??"

Not a bad idea... though Python's debugging is good enough that I
suspect it may not matter.

Dylan