[Zope] Zope, FTP, and Remote Access Alternatives

hpinson@indepthl.com hpinson@indepthl.com
Thu, 01 May 2003 12:03:04 -0600

Hi. An increasing number of our associates are experiencing NAT
related FTP issues with Zope.

A second emerging problem is a requirement in some environments to
use SSH/Secure FTP for server access.

We have not had good results in surmounting these issues, sometimes
passive FTP is a solution, sometimes not, moving one side out of the
firewall is not an option usually, and we cannot open a large hole in
our firewall to open a randomly chosen data port (assuming I'm
understanding the problem correctly).  SSH/SFTP only seems to add to
the complexity.  We have had mixed results with WebDAV.  The external
Editor product works great, it is difficult to convince our
Dreamweaver-centric developers even to try it.

Are these issues being considered in upcoming versions of Zope?  What
about alternatives to FTP file access?  Also, why do these NAT-
realated problems not seem to be issues with standard FTP servers
like proftpd or the MS FTP server, which we use for our static
websites?

Many questions... Any general thoughts on handling this would be
appreciated.  Thanks.

Harlow Pinson
Indepth Learning
Email: hpinson@indepthl.com