[Zope] Tip: 2.6.1 + exUserFolder + Browser

Cliff Ford Cliff.Ford@glg.ed.ac.uk
Wed, 14 May 2003 12:51:38 +0100

I ran into a wee problem which took me ages to solve, so I thought I
would share it in case you have it too (and don't know) or a better
solution. So:

I am developing a site and have exUserFolder for authentication
purposes. I also have an experimental site for testing developments
that are likely to go wrong. The development site is using Zope 2.5.1
and everything works nicely. The experimental site had Zope 2.6.1
installed and it seemd to work nicely too. Except that if the web
browser happened to be Netscape 4.7 then the exUserFolder
refresh page hung (i.e. no Refresh). Also, if the browser happened
to be Internet Explorer 5 then a Server Internal Error 500 was
reported. All I could find in the mail archives was a reference to
older browsers not implementing Refresh reliably.

So why should the same browser work with one site and not the
other? I noticed that in 2.5.1 the refresh page has Traceback
information as a HTML comment, but that in 2.6.1 the Traceback
has been moved to the error log. So putting about 900 hidden
characters in the Refresh body makes NN4.7 and IE5 work again.
with 2.6.1 For the record, I just added <!-- xxxx .... xxxx --> to the
body of Products/exUserFolder/dtml/docLoginRedirect.dtml

Cliff

Dr C.E.Ford, Senior Lecturer in Geology
Grant Institute of Geology and Geophysics
Telephone (+44) 131 650 4838, Fax (+44) 131 650 5738
http://www.glg.ed.ac.uk/people/academic/FordCliff.html