[Zope] Can't save Version in 2.6.1, please help!

Ken Causey ken@kencausey.com
21 May 2003 15:36:30 -0500

--=-APhnzhJLWQOF2UTj9U0I

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 13:55, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Ken Causey wrote at 2003-5-20 15:27 -0500:
>  > ...
>  > I have a Version I've been working in now for about 3 weeks.  I've
>  > modified and/or created around 50 new objects.  No matter what I do I
>  > can neither Save or Discard this version.
>=20
> Can you please describe precisely, what happens when you
> try to "save" or "discard" the version.
>=20
> You get what exceptions (type, value, traceback) or what behaviour
> (precise description).
>=20
> Sometimes, the "Version management" in "Control_Panel" can
> do more than the version objects themselves.
>=20

I tried it both ways.  What happened was exactly nothing.  No error
messages or tracebacks.  As far as I could tell (when saving) the
'primary' of each object was unchanged.  In other words any changes made
in the version were not applied, this includes not seeing any object I
had added.  And in either case (saving or discarding) the locks were not
released on any object which I had modified.  I believe at some point I
even had all the details and stupid logging enabled and didn't get any
errors there either.

>  > ...
>  > I've packed
>  > the database two or three times.
>=20
> If you still have a backup from your "Data.fs" before the first
> pack, keep it.

Since I packed 2 or 3 times in an attempt to get it working I'm certain
it was overwritten.  I could dig a copy off of a backup tape.  But at
this point I've built a brand new Data.fs using the import/export
process (had to do each root object manually) and everything is working
fine.  The bad taste disinclines me from touching Versions for a while.

>=20
>    Versions are implemented by backpointers. Under some conditions
>    (not too often), "pack" may loose objects referenced by backpointers.
>=20
>    This is probably not your problem.
>=20
>  > I'm using Zope 2.6.1 with Python 2.1.3.  If there is any other
>  > information I can provide please let me know.
>=20
> The standard one ;-) See above.
>=20

Thanks, I hope the little information I can provide helps.

Ken

>=20
> Dieter

--=-APhnzhJLWQOF2UTj9U0I