[Zope] Which Postgres is best for Zope/Plone on OS X, package or fink install?

Duncan McGreggor cms@adytumsolutions.com
Wed, 21 May 2003 21:19:20 -0400

Chris Beaumont wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am using my OS-X iBook as a devlopment platform and I have recently
>installed the combination Plone/Zope install.. I'm hoping to use this
>install with Postgres, but there are several installation options..
>
>There is a OS-X 'package' (which comes off the Postgres official site)
>and..
>There is a Fink package (which is basically a OSX version of a Debian
>package)
>or.. I could insall Posgres from source..
>
>The primary reason for installing Postgres is to use it with Zope, so
>ease of interfacing the two is my main concern, since I've had problems
>getting Psycopg to do this in the past..
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
>-Chris

Yes - install postgres from scratch. I had problems with several
packages and with the fink version (it conflicted with another CMS I
use, Bricolage). I built postgres on my mac using pointers from David
Wheeler's (not the gravitational physicist, but the perl coder) pages
for Bricolage. When I switched back to Zope, I used that same install
for development. I also installed the psycopg database adaptor (which
rocks) on my mac.

http://david.wheeler.net/osx.html

Here's apple's doc on it:
http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/postgres.html

but I didn't do it that way...

and here's what I did to install psycopg on mac os x:
http://extranet.adytumsolutions.com/documentation/cms/zope/psycopg_macosx

Hope that helps!

Duncan