[Zope] uploading large files w/ LocalFS

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
28 May 2003 09:56:00 -0700

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 04:39, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 08:23:53AM -0700, Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
> > >  And using an external browser means
> oops, typo... s/browser/server/
> > >   you lose so many nice things like zope's security management.
> >
> > Though SSH won't use the Zope security model (that I know of), key-based
> > authentication isn't that onerous to manage and/or deploy.
>
> I meant for managing access to the downloadable resources.

Ah... the subject line threw me off a bit.  :-)

> If some content is in zope and some is available via apache,
> and some of the apache content needs to be restricted to
> some users, it's a lot of extra work to make this transparent to your
> end users.

Yeah, that's a tough one.

> I don't really know how I'd deal with that.

I punted when I came across this problem in one of my apps... just ended
up serving all private/restricted content from the ZMI.  Not very
elegant, but my requirements weren't large enough scale to attempt
anything more complex.

I've been toying with Twisted a bit lately and wonder if it might be
used to create a helper app for Zope that functions as a separate web
server that can exchange/lookup some kind of authentication token with
Zope.  Large files could then be served on a separate port and
restricted to those with a cookie and/or URL munge approved by Zope.

This hasn't gotten anywhere near my radar screen... but it seems like
something that I might attempt if/when this need crops up next time.

Dylan