[Zope] Newbie: Location of External method files

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 28 May 2003 14:27:24 -0400

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 12:14:59PM -1000, Vern T Takebayashi wrote:
> Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to Zope.  Is the Extensions folder
> in the Zope root directory the only place that Python external method
> files can be located?

well, there's $SOFTWARE_HOME/Extensions and $INSTANCE_HOME/Extensions
if you're using INSTANCE_HOME.

> Or, can external methods be placed in the
> Extensions folder of a Product (so that they are only visible within the
> scope of that Product).

nope.  If you want code that's only accessible to a Product, why are
you using External Methods?  Why not just define a method in
the appropriate Product classes? Or a function, if that's more suitable?

> A related question I have is about how Zope looks for external methods.
> It seems that Zope looks along a certain path, in a way that is different
> from normal acquisition traversal.  i.e. you cannot simply locate the
> external method in a parent folder and expect Zope to find it.

Sure you can. I do it all the time.
Do you have an example where this doesn't work?

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com