[Zope] Queries about Zope

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Nov 5 16:59:48 EST 2003

Adrien Driver wrote at 2003-11-5 12:05 +1100:
 > I've just started evaluating Zope a few weeks ago to replace our
 > school's old web site.   While the documentation is great I'm having
 > trouble tracking down some pointers to the following:
 > 2.  Workflows - I need to implement workflows for editing approvals etc.

Look at CMF (Content Management Framework) and DCWorkflow
(both are part of Plone -- you should look at it).

 > 3.  Setting up a staging area and then publishing to a live version.  I
 > read something about Zope "versions" and  I read somewhere to stay away
 > from them.  I tried versions but again I had trouble getting them to
 > work.  Is a staging -> live setup possible?  Is there a better alternative?

We use CVS (Concurrent Version System) to synchronize file
system code (all our templates and logic are in the file system --
using CMF's "SkinsTool") and "ZSyncer" to synchronize ZODB objects
(usually configuration).

 > I've installed the CMF (1.4.2).  I've even looked at Plone (after
 > dropping down to CMF 1.3.3) but I don't want a portal setup, I'd like
 > just a basic site which has version control, workflows and a type of
 > staging/live arrangement.  I've installed the LDAPUserFolder product to
 > control access to parts of the site as well as managing it.

You can use the CMF/Plone tools without its (portal like) UI.

--
Dieter