[Zope] RE: Linux distributions for Zope Servers

Peter Sabaini peter at sabaini.at
Thu Nov 6 04:20:39 EST 2003

Roel Van den Bergh wrote:
> I share the same feelings as Dennis.
>
> Currently we're running one production server with Rh 7.3 (an upgrade from
> 7.2 because we needed large file support, without erasing existing data,
> which took us several days to get the server back online)
>
> It probably is virtual impossible to switch between distro's (Rh -> Debian)
> without having to install everything from scratch ...

Naturally you'll have to install a new OS; one might get away with
copying a Zope install over if both distributions use the same libc and
python interpreter (YMMV).

> Simple question(s): Backing up Data.fs on RH and copying to another distro,
> does that break anything?
> And if one switches from ext3 to Reiser?

If you use standard backup tools (eg. cpio, tar as opposed to some low
level imaging tool) there shouldn't be any problem whatsoever. Large
file support has to be supported on the new filesystem as well and
you'll need the same Products (including any C extensions etc.) of course.

FileStorage (Data.fs) is pretty cross-platform; I used to access the
same Data.fs from win32 and linux for instance.