[Zope] TypeError: 'in <string>' requires character as left operand

Gordon Sullivan gordon at gortek.com
Fri Nov 7 00:52:43 EST 2003

Hi,

I seem to have messed up my Plone real good.  I'm not sure, but I think what I
did to cause this was clicking the drop-down on the preferences screen for the
editor.  There was only one selection, 'None'.

Now if I try to access /folder_contents for any folder, it gives me a Site error
and the message:

    "'in ' requires character as left operand".

I'm running the windoze install-shield version of plone [ (Zope 2.6.1 (binary
release, python 2.1, win32-x86), python 2.1.3, win32)] on my computer at work.
I just started showing my managers how cool Plone is today, so of course I had
to break it...  8~[

I've googled and seen references such as these:

(http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2003-April/018187.html)
<snip>
> The simplest thing possible is to add another check
> on line line 174 in TypesTool.py
>
> if not self.allowed_content_types: return 0
</snip>

And also this:

(http://copilotconsulting.com/mail-archives/zope.2003/11509.html)
<snip>

Figuring this out was the hard part. Fixing it was easy: Zope
provides a simple 'argument conversion' facility. Adding ':list' to
the addForm HTML form ensures that the multiple field value(s) will
always be treated as a Python list, even if the multiple field only
had a single value.

To illustrate the fix (similar to the one I made in my 'addForm'
HTML), assume the line with the problem property was:

  <input type="checkbox" name="choices" value="choice_one" />

Change it to the following, which - via ':list' - ensures the Zope
argument conversion of 'choices' so that it is always a list:

  <input type="checkbox" name="choices:list" value="choice_one" />

</snip>

I've also read  Issue 1336
(http://plone.org/collector/1336/ISSUE_TRANSCRIPT/view) of  Issue Collector
[Plone] that discusses this problem,
and now I remember experimenting with the 'Allow Discussion' checkbox at some
point...   Maybe that's what caused it?

I'm not sure what to make of things because I'm pretty new to the guts of Zope
and Plone.  Whatever I did to cause this problem I did from the user interface
of plone, not the ZMI or editing python files.

If it will help I can send the traceback from the Site error log.

Does anyone know what the fix for this is?

Thanks so much,
Gordon Sullivan