[Zope] How to restrict the Portal type

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Fri Nov 7 20:27:42 EST 2003

This came up on plone-users last month, and I wrote this:

> Thanks for the clarification on one point. However, I'm not sure how
> to hide what appears in the Select drop down menu in Plone, no matter
> which version of Collector is being used. I want to *remove*
> references to the Collector (whichever version) from Plone's Member
> interface, which I assume is a function of the ZMI. My problem is that
> I can't find where that's done, and then how.

CMF doesn't currently make this easy; seems that it was not expected
that types would be restricted on a per-user basis. However, types
shouldn't show up if one doesn't have permission to create them. To this
end, you can try to use the ZMI security settings to remove the ability
of regular users to add Collector things, provided said things have
their own permissions, which is not the case with all the default portal
content and some external products.

You can extend these classes and provide your own security assertions,
of course, and then make the types tool use your new class instead.

The real way is to give types a list of allowable roles (or security in
some manner) and use this for the dropdown box and other machinery. But
as we're getting into the CMF core, perhaps this is more a topic for
zope-cmf at zope.org. Would be a good feature to have.

                --jcc
       (repetition repeats)

--
"My point and period will be throughly wrought,
Or well or ill, as this day's battle's fought."