[Zope] Re: Zope in SuSE 9.0

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Fri Nov 14 18:07:35 EST 2003

Roger Chrisman wrote:

>On Friday 14 November 2003 02:46, parra_zope wrote:
>

>>Hello jcc,
>>
>>Deleting Data.fs*, restarting zope and running zpasswd.py again solved the
>>problem. I think this is an issue with SuSE 9.0, because this happened in 2
>>different installations....
>>

>I am unable to sign into my myserver:8080/manage page. I get the loggin window
>but fail authentication with user and password I have just created via /opt/
>zope/utilities/zpasswd.py. I restarted Zope ( with /etc/init.d/zope restart )
>of course, after running zpasswd.py. I also tried deleting /opt/zope/var/
>Data.fs and trying all over again with zpasswd.py and restart. My new Zope
>user and password stisll fail loggin. Any suggestions? Please help me..

I do not know how SuSE packages Zope, because (a) I have never used SuSE
and (b) I have never used a non-zope.org packaged Zope.

Here's how it works:

Zope has a SOFTWARE_HOME and an INSTANCE_HOME. Unless you tell it
differently, Zope will assume them to be the same. I don't know if SuSE
sets up a separate INSTANCE_HOME.

SOFTWARE_HOME is by default the directory with zpassword.py and the rest
of the Zope software. An INSTANCE_HOME has your var directory and maybe
a Products directory (among possible others.) Your SOFTWARE_HOME has a
var directory as well, but if there's a separate INSTANCE_HOME, it is
not used.

'access' defines an emergency user for an existing ZODB. 'inituser'
defines the user that will be created when a new ZODB is made upon first
run of Zope. They are made in SOFTWARE_HOME, but must be put in
INSTANCE_HOME to work. (If its the same directory as SOFTWARE_HOME,
you're set.) A sure way to tell what's happening is to delete your
Data.fs, create an 'inituser', start Zope, and check if 'inituser' still
exists: it will be consumed if it is used. Otherwise, it's in the wrong
place.

So: Find your INSTANCE_HOME. The startup script (or a conf file if
you're using zctl or 2.7) probably defines this, you can locate it
there. Delete the Data.fs in its 'var' directory, move the 'inituser'
in, and start Zope. Now things should work.

If you're not in an INSTANCE_HOME setup, well, got me. Make sure things
are done in the right order and it should work.

             --jcc

--
"My point and period will be throughly wrought,
Or well or ill, as this day's battle's fought."