[Zope] CVS/Subversion for Zope sites

Dennis Allison allison at sumeru.stanford.EDU
Sun Nov 16 13:58:05 EST 2003

I am beginning to see some management and versioning problems with our
Zope sites.  My normal reaction would be to put everything under source
code control (CVS or Subversion).  We currently use CVS through a home
grown Zope interface to manage some of our content, but the sites
themselves remain monolithic Zopes with versions managed by ZSyncer and
a home grown tool site management tool.

The question/problem is "what goes into the source code control system?"
And how do I manage moving the various components from Zope to the source
code control system, and vice versa?  Not all Zope objects transport
neatly to the local file system space.  Moreover, I'm not sure how things
like local roles and security settings are encapsulated for import/export
in such a context.

Can anyone assist with war stories and the like?