[Zope] Re: saving data to use in excel later - still a newb

Felipe Barousse Boué fbarousse at piensa.com
Wed Nov 19 14:09:55 EST 2003

Kate:

If you build and HTML page with table containing the data you need
(after your input form, with the usual DTML/HTML/TAL tools) then you can
point MS Excel spreadsheet to the actual URL that would render that
table  in a normal web browser and it will import the data into it.

There is nothing else to do.

We use that technique to distribute reports to users who need some data
in an spreadsheet, we just instruct them to open Excel and then
"File->Open" and key in the assigned URL to that report page (like
http://www.yourintranet.com/statistics/sales_report), you can even key
in user name and password as Excel detects it is requested by the web
server in case you have that page password protected (basic HTTP
authentication only, I suspect)

By the way, we use OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 / 1.1 to do the same thing and
works great.

We have succesfully tried this in the Excel 2000 and XP versions but no
luck with Office 97 Excel.

Hope this is useful, best regards.

Felipe Barousse
Piensa Technologies - Bufete Consultor de Mexico
www.piensa.com

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:56:15 -0500
> From: "Kate Legere" <klegere at kfpl.ca>
> Subject: [Zope] saving data to use in excel later - still a newby
> To: "Zope" <zope at zope.org>
>
> I've designed an online form to track statistics (we were writing them down
> previously and then someone would have to go through them)
>
> Id like the form (on submit) to save the data (probably through calling a
> python script) collected in a format (text file) that I can then export to
> an excel file. Can someone point me to an example. My problem is, i guess in
> the python script that updates and saves the new data.
>
> kate

Felipe Barousse Boué.