[Zope] Apache/Zope Correct?

Jamie Heilman jamie at audible.transient.net
Wed Nov 19 18:42:57 EST 2003

Dennis Godfrey wrote:
> Oh, that's an idea. To tell the truth, another person and I have
> debated whether is makes sense to put separate plone sites in
> separate folders and make a VirtualHost with each one OR just place
> each plone instance at Root.

In general, the root of the zodb should be considered "special" and
not directly used to store content.  It is always advisable to create
a folder (or folders) in the root of the zodb and build a site from
within it (them), rather than directly mapping the root URI of the
site to the root of the zodb.  This is because there exist a number of
special objects (HelpSys, Control_Panel, etc.) in the root folder
which shouldn't be publically exposed if they have no good reason to
be.  Of course, even when you store your site content entirely within
a folder in the root of the zodb, if you don't change the default
permissions of root container these special objects will still be
traversable thanks to acquistion, so you'll need to investigate the
root container permissions and lock them down to gain any real
advtange from this layout.

--
Jamie Heilman                     http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"Most people wouldn't know music if it came up and bit them on the ass."