[Zope] Quick question.

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Fri Nov 21 15:25:19 EST 2003

Goldthwaite, Joe wrote:

>The product went away completely and nothing I could do would get it back.
>I tried moving it to a different directory, changing the metadata name,
>changing the class names, nothing worked.  I could look in the directory and
>see that my __init__.pyc file was being created so I knew Zope was looking
>at it but it didn't seem to do anything with it.
>
>After working on it for most of the day, I finally found the problem.  At
>some point, I had accidentally deleted the "s" from the end of the
>constructors'  In other words, instead of this;

>Notice the missing "s" in "constructor =".  That was doing it.  Now, here's
>my question, is there an error log anywhere that would have shown what was
>causing the problem without searching for a needle in a haystack?  I was
>looking all over the place for some kind of message as to why the package
>wasn't showing up but couldn't find anything.  I'm assuming I just don't
>know where to look.

There is an event log (set the STUPID_LOG or the newer EVENT_LOG_FILE
environment variable, or presumably a similar option in 2.7's config
file), but whether such an error would be logged is a different question.

'registerClass' should probably have thrown a TypeError with a message
like "registerClass() got an unexpected keyword argument 'constructor'"
(and you would probably see this on the console if you're running Zope
that way) but there are situations where it may accept any keyword
arguments you give it, in which case you wouldn't get an error and it
would just silently ignore the 'constructor' argument and assume you
just didn't give it a 'constructors' argument.

             ---jcc

--
"My point and period will be throughly wrought,
Or well or ill, as this day's battle's fought."