[Zope] RE:Quick Question

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Mon Nov 24 14:15:55 EST 2003

Goldthwaite, Joe wrote:

>First I need to apologize for saying that the example comes from The Zope
>Book.  It's actually from The Book of Zope from No Starch Press.  For some
>reason, I keep calling it The Zope Book.  Does anyone know where I can get
>printed copy of The Zope Book?  Amazon and Barnes & Noble have it but the
>publish date is from 2001.  Is a newer version available?

I think there hasn't been a reprint of the Zope Book (as from zope.org),
even though the newer versions are much enhanced.

>I'm still having problems where changes to the DTML files in my project are
>not showing up in Zope.   I added the refresh.txt file to the project
>directory but refreshing still isn't bringing in the changes.  Here's an
>example, I have a new_EISUser.dtml file in my project\public subdirectory.
>Edit the file externally and change the dtml to dtmx, I can refresh the
>project, restart Zope, manually start and stop the Zope service, or even
>reboot the machine but the change doesn't not show up in Zope.  If I delete
>my instance of the product and then restart Zope, the change comes in.
>
>Could it be the cache isn't refreshing correctly?  Or maybe it has something
>to do with running Zope under Windows?  Is this a problem with external dtml
>files stored in a project?

Well, that's a different story, and I think I can explain it. DTML
documents are stored as objects in Zope, as you can probably tell from
the way they're used, and once created don't refer back to their on-disk
sources. So you must destroy and recreate such a thing in order to see
any changes. If a DTML object is stored as an attribute of the class,
DTML objects with the behaviour of the filesystem code at the time of
instantiation will persist in that instance. I suspect you're doing
this. Create them instead as attributes of the module, which is
destroyed on Zope shutdown and re-run on startup (or refresh).

Or it could be your browser cache.

          --jcc

--
"My point and period will be throughly wrought,
Or well or ill, as this day's battle's fought."