[Zope] Advice Needed.

Peter Sabaini peter at sabaini.at
Wed Nov 26 11:45:42 EST 2003

Goldthwaite, Joe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to bother everyone again.  I try to keep my questions to a minimum but
> there's just too much to Zope and Python and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.
> I also apologize for not being more specific with my questions but just I
> don't know enough to be more specific.
>
> The thing I'm trying to do is conceptually very simple but I can't seem to
> get all the pieces together.  I'm trying to create an Executive Information
> System that puts my client's financial information online with drill down
> capability.  I'd basically like to be able to have Zope accept a URL
> something like this; http:\\MyZopeServer\IncomeStatement?rgn=80 and have it
> generate an Income Statement routine for region 80.  They have a
> hierarchical structure with groups, divisions, regions, areas, sales reps,
> etc. so the code "rgn" might be "grp" or "area".
>
> That sounds pretty simple doesn't it?  I can't seem to put the pieces
> together.  I was able to write a python module that takes the organization
> type and number and writes an Income Statement to a file in HTML.  I got the
> project from The Book of Zope working but all the forms seem to be linked to
> DTML files.  It didn't give me any examples on where to get the URL
> parameters from or how to just return my finished HTML to Zope.  I also went
> through the Template Attribute Language section of The Zope Book and have
> kind of an understanding on how TAL templates work but I don't see where
> they get URL parameters from.

You generally dont have to worry about URL parameters, Zope does this
for you

May I suggest the Zope book (available online here:
http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition ). URL
parameters are eg. discussed here:
http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/DTML.stx ,
"Processing Input from Forms"

I think this might help you to come up with more specific questions. If
you find the Zope book unclear or unhelpful I'd be glad if you would let
me know so I can demystify the offending parts

I'm not to clear on your projects needs but it indeed doesn't sound too
complicated

hth,
peter