[Zope] Zope var/ data.fs mamimum storage of content

Dylan Reinhardt zope at dylanreinhardt.com
Thu Nov 27 11:41:48 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 02:53, Chuck Aamdi wrote:
> I have bought the Zope Bible by Michael R . Bernstein and Collegues and
> eventhough its slightly outdated I still cant:
>
> 1) determine the maximum total size of var/ directory .

That depends primarily on large file support, discussed below.  Other
than that, your limitations are practical issues: hard drive size,
filesystem/OS limits, etc.

> 2) Is the below the default number of Zope Instance I can have running
> at the same time.
>
> I my z2.py file
>
> # The size of the thread pool, if ZODB3 is used.
> NUMBER_OF_THREADS=4

Threads and instances are not the same thing at all.  An instance is a
running zope that has its own configuration, data store, etc.  Each
instance is launched independently and you can run as many as you have
RAM to support.

Threads are processes within each instance that allow you to handle
multiple requests at the same time.  You can have as few as two and
probably shouldn't go higher than eight unless you know why you need
to.  You can run different instances with different numbers of threads.
Thread usage increases memory consumption, so you don't want to run very
many more than you need.

> 3) What is the ( LFS )I assume its stands for Local FileStorage plz

It could stand for other things, but in this context you're probably
right.

> how can
> determin if my File Storage exceed 2G

In the ZMI, look at the Database screen in the Control Panel folder.  In
the filesystem, look in the var directory of your instance and look at
the size of Data.fs

> 4) How to verify my python and libc have built - in LFS support

Here's one test:

More info:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/posix-large-files.html

> I will upgrade to Zope 2.6.2 after Xmas as I have a live Zope Site
> running with Apache 1.3
> and I have recieved the zdaemon SIGXFSZ error twice but cant trap the
> problem

Have you configured an event log?

> So to date I have just make daily backups > using the export#
> to my development serever and thus re-install and place the bb.zexp file
> into Zope's import folder and when Zope is up import as neccessary I
> know this crude but is works while I try and figure this problem out

Yeah, that's pretty crude... not to mention painful.  If you get any
more information from your event log, I'd post that and the results of:

# ps ax | grep zope
# top -u zope

BTW, you are packing your database regularly, aren't you?

HTH,

Dylan