[Zope] Zope 2.6.2 not responding

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Oct 3 09:09:07 EDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:22:54AM +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Paul Winkler wrote at 2003-10-1 13:28 -0400:
>  > Anybody had problems with zope 2.6.2 not responding for a while?
>  > Also running ZEO from ZODB 3.1.2.
>  >
>  > it happened this morning for 20 minutes, then spontaneously resolved
>  > itself; same thing appears to be happening now.
>
> Do you know what your hanging requests are doing?

not yet. I'm currently going through the big-M log trying to
see a pattern.

> We had an issue with Postgres where suddenly (harmless) queries took up
> to an hour to complete. Then several dozens of long running
> queries completed within a few seconds.
> The problem disappeared after we upgraded the Postgres server.

not an issue here... there's no database involved other than the ZODB.
I have wondered if maybe it's a ZEO issue, or a networking issue
between zope & the zeo server.  Seems unlikely given that they
are in the same rack, conneted via a 100baseT ethernet switch,
and ping time between them is very fast every time i've tried it.

The problem was noticed after upgrading the server to Zope 2.6.2 / ZEO 2
(from ZODB3-3.1.2.)  I downgraded back to Zope 2.5.1  / ZEO 1, which
seems to have somewhat reduced the severity of the problem, but it's
still there. Now the "stuck" periods are 0 - 3 minutes instead
of 20 minutes or more. It may be that this was happening all along
and I never noticed before due to the short duration of the outages.

I have not seen this on any of our other systems. Sigh.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com