[Zope] Long delay when error occurs in External Method

nwingfield at che-llp.com nwingfield at che-llp.com
Fri Oct 3 10:27:19 EDT 2003

Jens,

There is no cache between me and the server.  Normal modifications to pages
and scripts are not cached, and changes display immediately.  Only errors
are cached.  Bug-free changes are immediately visible.

like any community, have their own culture.  Generally one learns how to
behave within an unfamiliar culture by observing the other members of that
culture.  It has generally been the case that people continue a discussion
by replying to me directly, as well as to the mailing list.  Your e-mail is
a good example: you replied to me directly, and copied the mailing list.
It is for that reason, and for that reason only, that I replied directly to
Dieter.  Granted, my reply was somewhat off the original topic.  Though not
entirely unrelated, perhaps it was better suited to a new thread.

Nathaniel

|         |           Jens Vagelpohl   |
|         |           <jens at zope.com>  |
|         |           10/03/2003 09:41 |
  |       To:       nwingfield at che-llp.com                                                                                       |
  |       cc:       Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de>, zope at zope.org                                                           |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Zope] Long delay when error occurs in External Method                                                   |

OOK, how about this one then (I like to ask the hard questions) ...
> On one of my Zope servers (this one is running on Windows - ick), if a
> python script or page template throws a Zope error, and I debug my
> code so
> that it should no longer throw the error, it will take 5 minutes before
> Zope acknowledges my change.  Until then, the page will continue to
> throw
> the same error again and again.  Scripts and page templates with no
> bugs
> immediately respond to code changes, as they should.  I can reproduce
> this
> behavior as easily as creating a new python script containing the code
> 'return x'.  When I run it, I get an error (x does not exist).  If I
> rewrite it to 'x = 1; return x' I still get the error for 5 minutes, at
> which point Zope seems to become aware of my change.
> Nathaniel

Is there a cache between you and the server? Caches can cache error
pages, too.

jens

P.S.: Did you pay Dieter support money or why did you send this mail
directly to him?