[Zope] Re: external editor win-client: fatal error: unknown encoding: mbcs

Larry J. C. Prikockis larry_prikockis at natureserve.org
Fri Oct 3 11:16:21 EDT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:15:50 +0200, Axel Rutz wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i use the externaleditor product and its win client. when i try and
> externaledit a file,
> in most cases the client sais:
> fatal error: unknown encoding: mbcs
> (some files generate this error, others dont...even with the same content
> type...)
>
> which subsystem generates this encoding? (not me ;-)
> which subsystem complains?
> how to get rid of this?
>
> any ideas?

Well, it's not a complete answer, but it does seem that this error only
occurs in cases where the externaleditor.ini file doesn't explicitly
define an editor for a particular filetype.  For example, I was getting
the same error for Word documents until I realized that I had reinstalled
the EE product and forgotten to copy back my .ini file.  Once I set the
default editor for type application/msword to be "winword", all was well.
Hopefully that gives you a clue as to where the problem lies...