[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Using 2.3.2 for Zope 2.7

Chris McDonough chrism at zope.com
Fri Oct 3 12:37:47 EDT 2003

OK, sounds like a slam dunk to me.

I have changed the Zope 2.7 windows builder to use Python 2.3.2 and I
have changed the source version configure script to look for 2.3.2 as
it's "optimal" version.  This all appears to work.

Once an RPM is released for Python 2.3.2, I'll change the spec file for
the Zope RPM release to depend on that instead of a 2.2.3 RPM.

Currently, Zope still claims it works with 2.2.X (via the configure
script's "acceptable versions" feature).  Should we continue to make
that claim true by not depending on any Python 2.3-specific features in
the Zope core?  I don't think there are a lot of super-compelling core
and/or library differences between Pythons 2.3.2 and 2.2.3 that would
make this a hardship on core Zope developers.

- C

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 11:30, Tim Peters wrote:
> [Chris McDonough]
> >> Some people at ZC have made pretty compelling arguments to make
> >> Python 2.3.2 the "recommended" version of Python to use with Zope 2.7
> >> final.  I'm wondering if other people have a strong feeling about
> >> this either way.
>
> [george donnelly]
> > yes please. :) python 2.3 seems a lot faster to me and even quite
> > stable so far.
> >
> > or did you mean 2.2.3?
>
> Chris did mean 2.3.2, which is still unfamiliar to most because it was just
> released today:
>
>     http://www.python.org/2.3.2/
>
> This came very soon after the 2.3.1 release, and just fixes a few gross but
> obscure platform-specific packaging mistakes in 2.3.1.  In reality and with
> benefit of hindsight, what was released as 2.3.1 "should have been" released
> as 2.3.1c1 (release candidate 1), and then 2.3.2 should have been released
> as 2.3.1 final.
>
> Regardless, 2.3.2 is the best Python in existence (by any criterion other
> than "identical to 1.5.2" <wink>).

Chris McDonough <chrism at zope.com>
Zope Corporation