[Zope] Reverse-resolve hex instance numbers in traceback?

Dylan Reinhardt zope at dylanreinhardt.com
Wed Oct 8 14:52:03 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 04:53, Milos Prudek wrote:
> > Sure... you *can* get the address of an object by getting the string
> > representation of it using backticks, ex:
> >
> > `my_obj`
>
> So, for example, I can do the following?
>
> print `<Folder instance at 89ca148>`
>
> Is that what you mean?

No, it wasn't.  Backticks cause an object to be represented as a
string.  Typically this operator produces a string of the form:

<CLASS_NAME instance at HEX_ADDR>

The backticks themselves go around the object name.  To take your
example: (note ticks on the name, single quotes on the string)

`my_folder_name`   might return   '<Folder instance at 89ca148>'

What I was suggesting is that it is *possible* (though not necessarily
useful) to iterate over a collection of objects and test each one's
string representation to see if it matches the hex address you already
have.  When you find a match, you print the object's id.

But as I also mentioned, a far smarter thing is to test each object for
the specific attributes that you think are missing.  That process will
ultimately be much more useful.

HTH,

Dylan