[Zope] ZODB size limitations?

Andreas Jung andreas at andreas-jung.com
Tue Oct 14 12:37:34 EDT 2003

--On Dienstag, 14. Oktober 2003 12:24 Uhr -0400 nwingfield at che-llp.com
wrote:

> In an effort to put our Zope-based system into production, I ran an import
> script to pull in historical data external to Zope.  At this point we are
> experiencing some very strange behaviors - seemingly related to traversal
> of the object tree - that did not occur prior to the import.  At this
> point we have close to 150,000 objects, each containing a handful of
> metadata and nothing more.  A large number of these are folderish.  I
> expect this database to grow much larger in a very short time, providing
> it does not die a premature death.  Our file system is Reiser FS and our
> ZODB is running on DirectoryStorage, rather than the Data.fs file.  I
> worry that we're pushing Zope beyond its capabilities with this number of
> objects, but I don't really know.  Does anyone have experience with
> databases of this size?  Any ideas on limitations to number of objects
> the ZODB can comfortably manage, or the size to which the ZODB can
> comfortably grow?

150.000? That's what  I call a medium-sized ZODB. I might worry about the
ZODB
when the number of objects reaches 2-3 million objects. ZODB storages with
a size of several 20-30 are known to work. Although packing and backup
might be a bit tricky. You might think about using DirectoryStorage which
is much easier to backup but several times slower on packing compared
to FileStorage.

-aj