[Zope] serious memory leak?

Dylan Reinhardt zope at dylanreinhardt.com
Tue Oct 14 16:06:34 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I've got a Zope instance that uses a custom product to store a couple MB
of data.  When the object is created, it loads up a bunch of data from
the filesystem and pretty much just stores it statically.

Creating an instance of this object appears to cause no major drag on
Zope... while dormant, this zope instance uses 0.1 of available memory.
Making a request against the object briefly spikes usage to ~3%.

Over the course of 2-3 days, however this zope instance grows to consume
> 90% of available memory which is obviously a problem. This is on a
server with 2 GB of RAM running little besides zope and apache.

Restarting this zope instance successfully re-sets memory usage.
Several other long-running zope instances on this box don't seem to be
having any trouble at all.

I'm guessing this is somehow my fault, but I'm having trouble
reproducing the problem so it's tough to say what's going wrong.  Can
anyone suggest what kinds of things I should be taking a closer look at
in order to track this down?

If it matters, I'm using 2.6.1 on Gentoo, keeping the ZODB well-packed
(~3 MB) and I'm using FileStorage.  I'm not using TALES.

Thanks in advance,

Dylan