[Zope] Re: ZopeVersionControl (was: Re: APE and version control?)

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Mon Oct 20 16:51:17 EDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Johan Carlsson wrote:

> Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Johan Carlsson wrote:
> > If I understand the question correctly, yes.  You could make gateways
> > store in ZODB.  OTOH, you could just use the ZopeVersionControl product
> > instead.  It would be much simpler.
>
> ZopeVersionControl lacks the ability to track subobject
> changes. Is this something that is planed for future
> versions of ZopeVersionControl?

Applications that use ZopeVersionControl are supposed to track subobjects
for themselves.  This won't change.

> If I have understod APE correctly, subobjects are
> retrieved from folderaware gateways and inserted by
> folderaware serializers?

That sounds right.

> This is something I expect out of (at least) a branchaware
> version control system (that can do staging).

Have you looked at CMFStaging?  Maybe you should look at that first.  It's
a layer on top of ZopeVersionControl.

> But if you recommend it I'll dive in to the ZopeVersionControl
> code and try to figure out what I can do :-)
>
> Are there any plans for ZopeVersionControl?
> Who's manager for it?

Are you volunteering? ;-)  Just kidding.  We use it in our consulting
projects.  We haven't had a need to change it for a while, so no one in
particular manages it.

Shane