[Zope] Controlling caching of objects

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Thu Oct 23 06:18:41 EDT 2003

On Thursday 23 October 2003 10:51, Bjorn Stabell wrote:

> Actually, 15,000 target objects per thread.  The actual number of
> objects in memory with 4 threads is around 60,000,

Is that an assumption, or measurement?.... there are several useful pages in
control panel.

> so it's more like 8kb
> per object.  Which makes me wonder... [ Sorry for asking so much today,
> but this is really useful :) ]

Thats still a large average for a btree node in my experience.

> So you should really try to make sure the entire catalog could fit in
> memory, or each catalog query will result in activating/deactivating
> (thrashing) objects?

not usually. my catalog queries only typically need to active 100+ of objects
at most. Not 15000+.

> What impacts the amount of memory a catalog query actually uses?  The
> indexes, all of them, loaded in memory?  Or only the indexes you use?
> Or something else?   I guess the metadata and the objects themselves
> won't be touched.

They *shouldnt* be. Control panel can tell you what objects are in memory, and
the order in which they were recently used.

--
Toby Dickenson