[Zope] Re: [Plone-users] Re: A plea for equality => a play for diversity

laura trippi latrippi at sfu.ca
Fri Oct 24 05:11:58 EDT 2003

Alan's already answered this with his usual diplomacy -- and wisdom
beyond his years. =}

But since I edited "he" to "s/he" during my talk at the Plone
conference (right there in front of everyone!), I thought maybe I ought
to reply, too.  I've also been hanging out a fair amount on #plone.

In his "Future of Plone" talk, Paul said: "hello sexy plone people." He
also said, "thank you sexy plone people." It's hard to capture exactly
what it is that sparkles about Plone, but I thought that was really
apt. Surprising for a developer community, no?

There's a difference between "sexy" and "sexist." In many
circumstances, sexism expresses itself precisely by repressing
difference, gender, and sexuality. The aesthetics of Plone and the
creativity of the Plone community are bound up w/something else -- an
unconventional attitude and ethos that some might find shocking at
times, I suppose.

I don't condone sexist attitudes or behavior. I either avoid them or
make a fuss. I don't know what Dave's email was about, exactly. But
"pleas for equality" make me squeamish. I prefer plays for diversity --
and, in my experience, the Plone community, esp. including #plone,
could hardly be more welcoming in that regard.

My concern is this: If people start acting all p.c. on #plone --
goodbye sexy plone community.

best,

::laura trippi