[Zope] Online shopping / ecommerce tips

Paul Howell paul at smoothstone.com
Tue Oct 28 09:19:38 EST 2003

Lacking any fully ready Zope solutions, we've integrated Perl and PHP carts
with Zope sites for several clients.  Basically, use Zope the way you are
for managing the content, and run behind apache.  Then use SSL and a
separate subdomain (easiest) for the actual cart software.  The buttons to
put materials in the cart can be located anywhere, like on your existing
product pages in Zope.  Then integrate the cart with your favorite payment
gateway and away you go.  We ran one of our clients for the past two years
on just such a Zope site, with a Perl cart on a different server and
subdomain (with a different hosting provider as well), and the actual
credit card number entry and processing took place at the gateway
provider.  Worked well, and profitably for everyone.

Or (cheapest and easiest) use the free PayPal cart.  It works and
integrates very simply.
=Paul