[Zope] Newbie: Zope installation and phpBB compatibility

Cynthia Kiser cnk at caltech.edu
Thu Oct 30 14:37:17 EST 2003

Quoting Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de>:
>  > Question 2: I was thinking about developing the website in my laptop and
>  > the deploying it to the server through scp, ftp
>
> We try to move as much templates/logic as possible out of Zope's ZODB into
> the filesystem. There we the use open source version control "cvs"
> to manage and distribute changes.
>
> We use "ZSyncer" (a Zope product) to synchronize configuration and
> remaining templates/logic kept in ZODB between development and
> production.

Dieter, would you mind elaborating a bit more about how you move
templates and logic out of ZODB and into the file system. I am just
getting started with Zope and while I like a lot of things about how
Zope works, the "through the web" development style is almost enough
to make me decide Zope is not worth the pain. If I can get the
ExternalEditor product set up that would help. And I was thinking of
using ZCVSMixin to track versions in a way that allows one to diff
between versions. But I would still rather fire up xemacs and open up
mutilple buffers than have several browser windows full of textareas
on my screen.

--
Cynthia Kiser
cnk at caltech.edu