[Zope] image database /kv

Lalo Castro laloc at cats.ucsc.edu
Fri Oct 31 14:47:46 EST 2003

The external database was chosen for a couple of reasons.  Keep in mind
that I'm not expert on the inner workings of the ZODB, so some
statements regarding ZODB could be inaccurate, based on my understanding
of it.
1)  The main reason was that we're looking forward to having our image
database placed on the Luna Insight (
http://www.lunaimaging.com/insight/index.html ) project, and that
required exporting a SQL compliant database with standard fields.  ZODB
seems not to be SQL compliant.
2)  I always kinda considered the ZODB as something that's fine for
rather small databases.  But the larger the ZODB gets the more you slow
down Zope.  And this database is going to get really really big.
3)  Our site has a somewhat standardized method of creating services.
Interfaces are in Zope, Servers are in OpenBSD, and Databases are in
PostGreSQL.  So, part of why we chose PGSQL is because that's the way we
do it here.  It's not much of an answer, but it's true.

Resizing the pictures is going to be done as the pictures are scanned.
Students will be doing the scanning, and as they scan they'll create
those 3 image types.  Thumbnail, Display, and Archive.  I think they do
this by creating the Archive image, then the display image, then the
thumbnail from the display image.  I'm pretty sure they're using
Photoshop for this, but I'm not really involved in that part of the
project, so I can't be certain.

Lalo

P.S.: I should let you know that I'm going on vacation from Nov 3rd to
Nov 18th.  If I don't respond to you before then, you'll know why.