[Zope] strange zope behavoir: zope not responding

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Fri Oct 31 16:51:34 EST 2003

To case #2, I have experienced this.  Zope just stops responding.  It's not
using any more resources than usual or anything, just stops responding.

The issue with the processes, I think, is that possibly the master process
or thread restarts itself, but the PID file doesn't get overwritten.  So you
now have a Zope running with a different PID than what is in the file. As
such, running the "stop" script doesn't help. You have to issue a SIGKILL in
order to shut it down (When I experience these symptoms, I've tried other
signals without success).

I am running 2.6.1 with Python 2.1.3.

So far as I can tell server load is perfectly normal when this occurs, and
it doesn't seem related to uptime.this week it happened twice in one day,
but hadn't happened for a couple of weeks before that.

In my case though I'm using Apache as a proxy, and Apache seems to lock up
as well: it no longer spawns children for new requests.

I've also seen it happen where apache's slots all fill up and then
everything stops responding.

In my case, I'm suspecting a nasty Coldfusion MX setup on the same box that
I think has a race condition that takes up 100% CPU every once in a while.
Had to track down though. But a race condition on a process would definitely
show the types of symptoms describe here.

Either way, I'd still like to hear comments/ides/solutions on this issue,
just in case I'm following the wrong lead!

J.F.