[Zope] Performance Hit

Jason Bush jason at nol.org
Fri Sep 5 10:18:03 EDT 2003

Here our MySQL database is on a separate server than our Apache and Zope
servers
we serve 100's of thousands of requests per day, if we were to serve
parts of our content
from MySQL there would definitely be a noticeable hit to our request times.

Now if we are just talking about a 10 page website that serves 100 or so
requests per day
you probably wouldn't notice at all. It is all dependent on the amount
of data, and the
amount of traffic, I went with the worst case point of view, large
amounts of content
served from a remote database, with high traffic, as opposed to serving
static content
from the webserver.

We have about 60 sites that use our Zope server, two fairly large sites,
and we experience
slow response times just serving from the ZODB. When one of the agencies
puts
out a document for the public and it gets hit hard, we notice it.
Granted it doesn't DoS
us, and we are able to work normally, there is a definite slow down in
network traffic.

--
"When two men in business always agree, one of them is unneccessary."
                                                 --William Wrigley Jr.

Jason Bush  |  (402) 471-6517  |  jason at nol.org  |  http://www.nol.org