[Zope] Inheritance and the Search Engine : A Tragic Tale of Romance

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri Sep 5 21:51:00 EDT 2003

Edward Pollard wrote at 2003-9-2 11:30 -0600:
 > Inheritance on
 > zope is sending our search engine on infinite traversals of the Zope
 > tree. This is caused, as you can probably guess, by relative linking
 > (eg '../../blah.htm'), and one ill-formed url somewhere that gets the
 > recursion started.

It is very difficult to get a completely safe solution.

Some approaches could be:

  You put a (SiteAccess) AccessRule in your Root Folder.
  It examines the URL and rejects URLs which do not look nice.

  "Not nice" could be:

    *  it is two long

    *  it contains a recurring pattern

Of course, when I know your "not nice" definition,
I could build a site for which your "not nice" would kill
a valid URL. But you know your site and can adapt the "not nice"
condition accordingly...

Dieter