[Zope] Block Letters

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Tue Sep 9 19:54:40 EDT 2003

Hi,

hpinson at indepthl.com wrote:
> Hi. We are testing an application developed in Zope/ MySQL and
> occasionally, have reports that text will turn to block letters. I do
> not know what browser she is using.
>
> Here is a quote from on of the users with the problem:
>
> "The content areas had blocks in place of some letters. I went on
> with the planning and when I went back to that page, only letters
> were showing."
>
> So it is intermittent and I have not been able to reproduce it.
>
> Zope is 2.6, Linux is Redhat 9, MySQL is 4.09 (i think).  Any ideas
> about what could be going on?  I've seen this with Plone, but we are
> not using Plone.

This usually happens when you send the page in one encoding (charset)
while the browser either does not support it or assumes an other.

The effect above could be a result in mixed page views, where
2 other, different pages do send a charset header but your
page does not. So the browser stays in its last setting of
the charset and thus showing placeholders for the chars it
cannot display using this charset.

Solution: specify your (the right) charset in your pages.

Regards
Tino