[Zope] Uploading Images Via FTP

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Wed Sep 10 11:31:29 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 10 September 2003 09:44 am, prosam at comcast.net wrote:
> Is the port always 8021? How do I figure out what port it is using? I'm a
> newbie to this stuff so you will need to explain step by step. Sorry. :(

No, it can be altered, and this is the problem -- your programmer
may have set the system up in a non-standard way, which may
have been what he was trying to tell you.  However, an alteration
should, IIRC, show up in the Zope "start" script, from which you can
find out the actual port number (the other way it can get altered
is if 8021 is in use -- I think this happens on some Debian Zope
installations, for example).

Also, word to the wise: ALWAYS use "passive" FTP with Zope, I've
had a lot of problems trying to use "active" mode. In Unix/Linux,
this means using "ftp -p ...".

There's another point that may or not affect you -- if you are
using an image product other than the standard Zope "Image",
you will need a "PUT_factory" method to get the object type
correct.  I mention this, because it's another possible meaning
of "it can't be done".  But if you've got standard Zope "Image"
as the meta_type, then ignore this.

Cheers,
Terry