[Zope] Re: use traversed subpath to insert REQUEST variables

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat Sep 13 07:37:32 EDT 2003

Tobias Herp wrote at 2003-9-11 11:38 +0200:
 > I hoped to avoid the AccessRule thing and have a
 > solution inside my portal product (which can contain site objects in
 > varying level depths). A site object would easily know e.g whether or
 > not the two following path elements are a valid language and layout.
 >
 > Is it more difficult or dangerous to use the __bobo_traverse__ method?

Inside product code, "__bobo_traverse__" is (usually) easy, too.
There are several differences:

  "__bobo_traverse__" must return an object while the basic
  mechanisms behind AccessRules ("__before_publishing_traverse__")
  can simple check things or manipulate the traversal stack
  and let locations to something else.

  "__bobo_traverse__" is used by "[un]restrictedTraverse" (and,
  therefore, TALES path expressions) while "__before_publishing_traverse__"
  is only used by ZPublisher traversal.

As Evan pointed out, you do not need to use an AccessRule.
You can use "__before_publishing_traverse__" in your product directly.

Dieter