[Zope] Securing Zope

Robert Segall roseg at apsis.ch
Wed Sep 17 10:21:14 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 14:19, you wrote:
> Jamie Heilman wrote:
> > There was some recent interest in security issues with Zope
> > installations, so I just thought I'd announce that I'm now keeping a
> > public collection of notes about outstanding security problems at
> > http://audible.transient.net/zope/  Its not complete yet (only
> > addresses open collector issues currently), I'll probably be adding to
> > it for the next few days until it is (inasmuch as it can be just
> > representing my knowlegde on the subject).
>
> The acrimonious nature of your document means many people are unlikely to
> take it seriously and hardly anyone who _can_ fix the problems you half
> heartedly describe will want to put up with the verbal battering required
> to do so...
>
> Don't know if you actually "get" how open source works, which is a shame,
> given that you seem to have a good insight into a lot of these problems...
>
> Chris

Sorry Chris, but that is NOT how security works: you have to take seriously
any issue, no matter how unpleasant the manner in which it was raised.

The issues raised by Jamie are legitimate, and they should be (eventually)
dealt with. What the priority is I am not really sure - I doubt Zope will
ever be a good idea in a truly high security environment. This is not a
negative remark on the Zope development, but rather a reflection on any
highly complex system.

Jamie's fixes are useful and should be considered by anybody who is really
interested in these matters. Whether they are really vital is another
question: some of the issues are not important in certain scenarios (small
development team on single project may not care about about privilege
escalation via ZMI, problems with the CGI are of no importance unless you use
that mechanism), others can be dealt with by other mechanisms (proxy
filtering). Yet some others are truly horrible and affect everybody (the idea
of allowing XML-RPC on the HTTP port is about as bad as anything I have ever
seen). All in all it is your decision what you want to do about them, but you
should at least be aware of their existence; dismissing them because they
were pointed out in an impolite manner is not the answer.
--
Robert Segall
Apsis GmbH