[Zope] Can't get past the login screen...

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Sep 17 16:07:37 EDT 2003

Ron wrote at 2003-9-17 08:49 -0700:
 > I've installed Zope on a RH system, I get the password dialog (for 3
 > gerr... days) but nothing else, the system continues to ask for a
 > correct username/password.
 >
 > I have run the zpasswd.py script with "access" and "inituser" in both
 > the /usr/lib/zope2.7 and it's "bin" directory, used clear passwords, and
 > the default, changed permissions (on everything) to "zope" (Zope runs as
 > user zope on my system). Restarted after each password change, run it
 > with Galeon, Mozilla, Konqueror... From a remote machine and a local,
 > searched the mailing list (Yahoo lists SUCKS, btw), Google, and the Zope
 > site and read the logs.
 >
 > The best message I have received from zope comes from Konqueror
 > "Authentication Failed!"
 >
 > Can anyone suggest how I might get Zope working?
 >
 > Thank you. (This is SO FRUSTRATING!!!)

I can understand you.

However, my only idea: you probably put "inituser/access" at
a place where Zope does not look for them.

Almost surely, there is documentation about your Zope installation.
It should tell you what the initial user/password is and
where the Zope "instance" is (that's where Zope looks
for these files).

If you do not find this documentation,
fetch Zope's source distribution, untar, run "python wo_pcgi.py",
note the initial user and password displayed at the end,
"start".
It's a matter of about 10-20 minutes...

 > Details: RH 7.2, Zope: 2.7.0-b2, Python2-2.2.3-1, Zope and Python
 > compiled and installed from rpm's.

Ups: what I said above was for Zope 2.6.x.

Zope 2.7 is completely different...

Dieter