Abwesenheitsnotiz: [Zope] ZSyncer

Dylan Reinhardt zope at dylanreinhardt.com
Thu Sep 18 16:37:31 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 13:16, Sophia Grimm wrote:
> My German's a little rusty, but it looks like this
> person doesn't want to get mail from me.

Unfortunately, that's not the problem.  The software that runs this list
is different than most other mail software.  It puts the *poster* e-mail
address as the address to reply to instead of its own. This means that
any subscribers who are bouncing messages or running an auto-responder
are flooding list contributers with bogus e-mail.  It gets a lot worse
when someone's got a transient delivery error... those can easily
generate a dozen or more bounce messages per post.

This is something of a religious issue in the sysadmin community and not
likely to get resolved on this list.  There are several ways the problem
*could* be fixed but none are likely to be comprehensive or work to
everyone's satisfaction.  So this is what we've got.

FWIW,

Dylan