[Zope] ZSyncer & CMF: Happy Together ??

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Sep 18 16:56:35 EDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 03:27:42PM -0500, Edward Muller wrote:
> Is ZSyncer intelligent enough to deal with CMF sites?

Hi Edward!

ZSyncer doesn't do anything special with CMF site objects. I haven't
tried syncing a whole CMF site recently, don't remember if there
are any special issues there.  It should "just work"
(but see caveats below).  Try it and be sure to let me know
if something goes wrong.

As for cmf content, recent CVS of ZSyncer (on sourceforge)
does one special thing: using DublinCore timestamps instead
of the low-level ZODB timestamp. This greatly improves the
reliability of reporting the ok / out-of-date status.

I wouldn't sync a whole CMF site or any other folderish
object if it contains a very large amount of data.
Remember that zsyncer works by exporting the object (to
a cstringIO instance instead of a real file), transferring
the result across the network, and importing it on the
remote server - all in a single request.
This can fail if you don't have enough RAM to do the job.
Or it can just take an insanely long time due to heavy swapping.

It can also succeed but *seem* to fail if your browser
times out waiting for the response to come back. IE especially
times out easily; I think the longest successful sync I ever
managed took about an hour with mozilla.
Usually I try to sync in smaller chunks.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com