Abwesenheitsnotiz: [Zope] ZSyncer

Jamie Heilman jamie at audible.transient.net
Thu Sep 18 16:58:16 EDT 2003

Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
> Unfortunately, that's not the problem.  The software that runs this list
> is different than most other mail software.  It puts the *poster* e-mail
> address as the address to reply to instead of its own. This means that
> any subscribers who are bouncing messages or running an auto-responder
> are flooding list contributers with bogus e-mail.  It gets a lot worse
> when someone's got a transient delivery error... those can easily
> generate a dozen or more bounce messages per post.

Ehhh, not exactly.  The list manager adds a Reply-To header, that
header is only ment for MUAs.  Is it dumb that they add that header?
Yes, it sure is.  Will it change?  Probably not, like you said, dogma.
But, that header has no effect on bounces or transient delivery errors
from most MTAs.  Unless the MTA is buggy, the envelope sender is the
only address it will ever use for bounces, and that happens to be set
to a bounce catcher like it should be (although using VERPs is far
less error prone).  Auto-responders OTOH are almost always broken by
design, and cause no end of annoyance.  Interestingly enough, if the
list owner removed the Reply-To header from this list, the
auto-responder *might* do the right thing and use the envelope sender
instead (there's an equally likely chance it'd just use the From:
header thanks to the number of broken auto-responders out there) the
net effect of which would be the bounce manager would (hopefully) end
up unsubcribing the idiot with the broken auto-responder.  At the very
least it might mean a less annoying backscatter for the list users.

--
Jamie Heilman                     http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing