[Zope] Zope Development as a beginner

William Yeung wiyeung at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 21 04:36:06 EDT 2003

Dear all,
Recently I am seeking new opportunity for developing low cost web based
solution on linux (I was classified as MS Man :P) in order to do lower
end market. I was playing quite a bit different web development platform
(ASP, ASP.NET + C#, and now Zope) and I found the following conclusion:
Zope seems has a good concept but difficult to manage in terms of
granularity of the project. I found myself get very much feeling on Zope
is actually still very script based- which is quite similar to what ASP
and PHP did! I can see some of the different advantages (e.g. the
acquisition of objects) on the web publishing side- but when I am
thinking about implementing an high cohesion based system such way of
maintaining objects and methods seems give me very much hassle on trying
to coordinate things together. I think I am comparing this with ASP.NET,
which seems give a very good way to separate UI and logic layer, while
still has very good cohesion on each function of a webpage as a frontend
to use. Think about I have 20+ different controls on a same screen which
requires pretty much back and forth database activities and session
control in order to finish a transaction... seems Zope is not very good
at this kind of development. However, even after the first sight I have
to say I love python quite much- the language is convenient and clean,
gives very good readability in terms of coding... so I really dream
about if someone could come up with something more similar to ASP.NET
instead of ZPT and DTML style... also to allow a more easy to develop
platform (I really dont like to keep going back and forth on the ZMI to
build up my projects, I want to do all things offline and then test
things at once) ... is there something out already, or my thoughts is
just so different with you guys that no one think its a good way to do
web development?

Hope I could find my way here...
Thanks,
William